Saturday, August 4, 2012

Mommy Attachment

At our last session before summer, our PAT educator warned us that parent attachment peaks at age 2. She sure wasn't kidding.

Teagan always has been pretty social (another benefit to daycare), and never had a strong parent attachment. Bret and I wish for her to feel secure and confident. We encourage her to interact with others.

Lately though we are failing. She has a HUGE mommy attachment. Mommy has to do everything from reading books, to picking up Teagan, to pushing the shopping cart, to getting Teagan a drink. Daddy is not allowed. She says "No" to friends and family that Teagan used to hug and play with. We went on a vacation and Mommy had to do everything. There were 3 other adults and I couldn't catch a break. She only wanted Mommy.

Teagan LOVES her grandma. The three of us went to lunch yesterday and Teagan asked me to pick her up. That never happens when grandma is around.

While though I love the extra attention, its selfish of me to support it. And this attachment can be frustrating at times. I had the flu Thursday and couldn't get any rest. I try to comfort Teagan's needs while encouraging her to interact with others, esp her Daddy.

Anyone else have the extreme 2 year old parent attachment? Any hints to help your child?

Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment