Wednesday, August 22, 2012

You Should....

You should go out with your friends.
You should have a date night.
You should take a break and treat yourself to some alone time.

Sound familiar?

Once you have kids everyone becomes experts on what you should do. These are almost default statements and no consideration is taken if you do go out or not. You're able to schedule your life when you're childless but once you have children, others tell you what you need to do.

While though I have a forgetful mommy brain and I do get stressed, I know what I need to do.

As a busy working parent, I spend a lot of time away from my child. Then I'm given a guilt trip for wanting to spend the time I do have with her. Kim has "attachment issues." Kim is on ''Team Teagan." Kim "needs to let go a little." Blah, blah, blah. I've heard it all.

I was thinking about why people care so much about what I do. The logical reasons I came up with are 1) people want to spend time with me, or 2) people want to spend time with Teagan.

So I propose instead of "you should" statements, try:

I want to hang out with you san kiddo.
I want to babysit your daughter.

There, no mom guilt attached.

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment