Saturday, January 19, 2013

Other Uses for Mothers Rooms?

For those who don't know, mothers room is a "term for a private room where a breastfeeding woman can use a breast pump in private one or more times a day" [source: Wikipedia]. Many employers are providing mothers rooms to encourage moms of new babies to continue working while nursing. 

An incident occurred at my husband's work regarding a mothers room. Since I was a user of a mothers room, he asked for my opinion.  The incident involved a diabetic male who used a mothers room for an insulin shot. The male was reported by a female user of the room.

I'm of the opinion that if an employer provides a clean private place for a mother to pump, why should they not also be required to provide a space for any employee that has a medical need for a similar space? I would hate to use a public restroom to give myself a shot. 

Now if this person was using the room at my schedule time to pump, I would be frustrated. Pumping takes enough time out of my work day as is, let alone having to wait for the room. My employer requires you to register before using the room too. So I'd say who cares if the person is registered for the room and schedules his/her time to use it. 

What is your opinion on the situation? Should mothers rooms be open to anyone with medical need?



No comments:

Post a Comment