Sunday, December 11, 2011

Will I Ever Sleep Again?

As a mother of a newborn, I considered sleep a luxury. It was a treat to sleep. Our sweet girl did not adjust well to daycare the first month and work up every 45 minutes. Yep. You read that correct. 45 minutes. I nursed Tea too so no coffee for me. I remember one night I got 3 hours of sleep and had so much energy! I definitely could not function on 3 hours of sleep now. Its funny how your body adjusts.

With great advice from our pediatrician, Teagan started sleeping through the night at about 4 months. However, the occasional cold or teething would keep her up at night. 

Now as a toddler she sleeps a solid 10-11 hours a night without a peep. Me? Well I still do not sleep continuously. 

I worry more and more about my little girl the older she gets. When I worry I cannot sleep. I have to tell my mind to shut up and stop thinking. I fall asleep well but I usually wake up in the middle of the night and lay there for a hour. And then I wake back up before my alarm goes off. Of course I just lay there till it does.  I never knew I could worry so much about someone. 

Do parents every stop worrying? I know my father doesn't. He's so cute. I usually get some sort of safety device every Christmas and I'm almost 30. I think he still gets nervous when I walk with scissors. 

I worry about my daughter's happiness. As a toddler she gets frustrated and upset. I know this is common for her age, but I want her to be happy. I worry about how the choices I make affect her. Is me working the best for her specific personality? Is she happy at daycare? Is our parenting style helping her? 

I would like to think my worrying will decrease as she gets older, but then I think about her being a teenager. And I know I'll worry more. 

Ahhh, a joy of parenthood: worrying. 


You know you're a ftwm when....you worry fulltime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment