Sunday, January 15, 2012

Big News!

..... I'm NOT pregnant.

Ahahahaha. I have this post linked to my Facebook page. With a title like "Big News",  I bet people clicked on it hoping for a pregnancy status. We are probably asked daily when is baby no. 2. That will be another post by itself. We are not ready for a second child yet.

For those who don't read my blog the news is:

I'm going part time.

Okay, you can close this window now. For the my loyal followers, here is the scoop.

I always thought I would work full time. I never imagined myself being a stay-at-home mom. Then I had Teagan. Oh the love I have for her overwhelmed my heart. Actually being a mom changed my perspective on working. I started to dread Sunday nights for I would usually get sad. And this last holiday break was just not long enough even though I had 11 days off.

I was working a flex schedule - 9 hour days with every other Friday off. But that schedule was tough. I blogged about a crappy Friday I had last November. The following weekend, I updated my resume. Maybe if I found a job closer to home, I would have more time back and be happier. I would lose my every other off Friday though.

There were lots of jobs out there near my house but I was picky. My husband joked with me "So you pretty much want the same job but just closer to home?" Yep. I have a GREAT team and the BEST manager. I love what I do. My employer is family oriented and has pretty sweet benefits. Ugh.

So I did it, during my year end performance review, I told my boss my work/life balance is off. I would no longer like to travel and I would like to work less. His response was "What else?" He thought my requests were fine. He said he completely understands. His wife stayed at home with their kids. He said if he could only have an hour of my time he would be happy. Don't I have the best boss???

I was very nervous to talk to him. Now I wonder why I was nervous at all.

So starting in February, I'm cutting down to 4 ( 8 hours) days a week. Its not a huge cut back, but I'll get 1 more day a week my sweet little girl. I feel so relieved!

Who wouldn't want one more day with this lovable  face?




3 comments:

  1. Hurray for you! I loved 4 days. If you can possibly swing it, work Friday and take Monday off. Mondays are so bad they wreck Sundays! Fridays are almost fun at work with everyone so happy! Wednesdays break up the week, so they're not bad either. No matter - one extra day with Teagan will be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That is so awesome that you can work part time, still do what you love, and get more time with your daughter! Seems like the best of both worlds to me,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danielle! I hope it is too. And for the first comment I'm doing Fridays off. I feel guilty (never ending mom guilt) for taking time off in the first place. Fridays are light at work so I think it'll be the best day off with the least upset with my coworkers. Great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete