Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Working Woman

I work in a male dominated profession. For the most part it is great! It can work in my favor. However, I occasionally get extra attention for being a young female.

For instance, as I was walking into work today I took the stairs near the elevator. A male I have never seen before, saw me and asked "Is it safe to ride in this elevator?" I wish I was more witty and said a funny response. I just said no. Is this really the best line you could come up with to talk to me?  A "hello" or "how are you" would do better. I guess my bright pink plaid tote and black high healed boots makes me look knowledgeable on elevators. His comment made me chuckle. I am flattered that he wished to talk to me anyways.

My all time favorite male work comment came one day while I was waiting to order food at our cafeteria. A young guy behind me asked "Do you work here?" Ahahaha. I should have said "Nope. I just come here for the food." You know, work cafeteria food is fantastic and anyone would pay top dollar for it.

You know you're a ftwm when...you have the ability to shut out all noise around you at work (a mom trait of selective hearing) to where you don't even notice when coworkers mention your name to pull you into a conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment