Thursday, June 7, 2012

Periodic Review


I once read, don't make rash decisions. Set a date. Try whatever you're doing until that date then review your situation. This works me.

I didn't realize how much being a working mom would affect me pre kids. I had planned on being a fulltime working mom. I like working and being challenged.

Phase 1: Around the time Teagan was 8 months old, my work/life balance was off. I was overwhelmed, tired, and sad. I tried the 5 days a week thing...not for me. I set a date, tried it out, and made a decision to change.

Phase 2: I started a compressed work schedule with every other Friday off (still fulltime). I set another date (6 months), tried it out, and made a decision to change. Compressed schedules are crazier then M-F weeks.

Phase 3: I went part time (32 hour weeks, every Friday off). I set a date (June 2012), and tried it out. Here's my review:

I finally feel balanced. 4 day work weeks are really working out. I get to do the job I love, but I still feel like a mom.

Teagan and I do so many things on our Fridays from mommy and me classes, to "field trips", to special girl only lunches, to singing and learning, and on and on.

I have time to clean and get my todo list done (its amazing how productive I am in the 2 hours Teagan naps on Fridays). This allows me to have more quality time with my whole family (husband included) on the weekends.

Work - well I'm busy! I feel like I have the same work load but just less time to do it. I tell my boss that the company is getting more per dollar out of me.

This periodic review has no change. I found a schedule that fits me.

Love,



No comments:

Post a Comment