Friday, October 28, 2011

Run Run Kimmy


This might be the longest blog post ever. But its a fun story.

I watched the World Series game last night. And what a game it was. It ran very late though. I should have gone to bed earlier. I stayed in a different hotel last night, across the street from the airport. I made sure this alarm clock was correctly set to PM and set my alarm for 5:00am.

I woke up and thought I woke up early again (like I have been all trip due to the time zone difference). I decided to look at the clock anyways and it said 6:42am. I had to take a double look. 6:42am??? This must  be wrong.  I grabbed my cell phone and it had the same time. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. My flight is at 7:10am. Do I dare try to make it? I thought I better take a shot. I chose my 7:10am flight specifically so I could home at a decent time. All the other flights would get me home after 9pm and I want to see my baby before she goes to bed. Another flight was not an option.

I had the great idea last night to pack in the morning. My belongings were scattered every where around the room. Sweet. I threw on some clothes and scrambled to put everything in my suitcase. I'm sure I left something behind. No shower, no makeup, no hair brushing. I think I even forgot to brush my teeth. I looked very pretty, I'm sure. As I rushed out of the room, I saw the hotel put my bill under the door.  Thank goodness! I don't need to stop and check out now.

I flew down the stairs, through the lobby, and out the door. I sprinted across the major road between my hotel and the airport with a purse, backpack, and suitcase in hand. My belongings were not level and I was wavering. The cross walk light showed do not walk but I couldn't wait. There was no cars so I dashed across in my black coat in dim sunlight. Not the brightest thing to do. I barely made it across the street before a motorcycle crossed the intersection. I feel like I'm Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City in one of her famous running scenes, but I'm wearing ballet flats instead of heals.

Whew, I hurried like hell through the airport parking lot, down through baggage claim, and up stairs to the check in counters. I'm out of breath. Yippie. No one is in line. I don't even know what time it is. I asked the check in lady if I can still catch my flight. She was rather annoyed with me and said no without checking a thing. I'm sorry to bother you grumps, but I did not intentionally mean to wake up late and jog to the airport this Friday morning. She starts whacking away at her computer and makes a phone call. She said the plane's still there but they won't hold the door for me. I can still try to make it, but I couldn't check a bag. All my coworkers know I hate carrying bags on the plane. Crap. I had to open my suitcase and pull out all my liquids, including my "Very Sexy" Victoria's Secret perfume and contact solution and put them in the trash. All victims of my tardiness. Seeing Teagan today is more important to me.

Off I go running again to security. Boo, there is a line. I look at my watch 7:00am. 7:02am...argh...hurry up. Then a page came on over head. It was for me. "Kimberly So&So, please report to gate 12. Your flight is ready to depart and you're the last passenger to board." Haha. I've never heard "last passenger to board" before. Alright, no more waiting. Security said I could jump ahead but I had to ask every person in front of me. Everyone let me cut! They were really nice. I'm rushing to get all of my stuff on the conveyor belt to go through the scanner and by accident knocked the man's bin in front of me on the floor. It had his laptop in it. Oops. He did not seem pleased. I explained my story, but he was less than impressed. He must not have any kids. I'm very sorry!

This security checkpoint had the full body scanner. I didn't have time for TSA's friendly pat down so I went through it. Crap. I forgot I put my jewelry in my pocket to save time. TSA didn't like that. Now it cost me time.

Finally through security and I'm off running again. Of course my gate had to be far away. I'm getting tired now. I wondered what people thought of me sprinting through the terminal. I go up some escalators and I see gate 12! There is no one there but one lone man at the door. The door is open!!!! I run up. He asks me "Are you Kimberly?" Ha, I'm on a first name basis. Yep, that's me!!!!! He took my ticked at let me in.

At 7:10am exactly my butt was in my seat. Not bad for waking up 28 minutes ago.  The only overhead space left was in first class so I didn't get to pull my laptop or magazines out to read on my 3.5 hour flight. But that's okay. I made it! I was a momma on a mission to get home. I even got a morning workout in. ;)

I had plans to buy my hubby and daughter souvenirs at the departing airport. That didn't exactly work out. I hope they like their gifts from my layover airport in Texas. YeeHaw!

You know you're a ftwm when...you won't let anything stop you from seeing your kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment